Saturday, October 9, 2010

Mexican Conchas!


 So happy to finally share this recipe with all of you! This was my 4th attempt making these babies! The first time I made them I killed the yeast by overheating the water. Second time around they turned out pretty good, but the topping spread out way too much or ended falling off. Third time around I thing I made the dough way too stiff by over adding flour, they didn't rise properly. Fourth time around, I think I nailed it! I was a little worried this morning after rolling out my portions and adding the topping, they weren't rising fast enough. It was a little chilly this morning so I figured it was the room temperature. After heating my oven to warm, I placed them inside to rise. I had to be carefull not to over heat the oven since I didn't want the topping to melt off. An hour later that seemed to do the trick.
I have too be honest with you I'm not a huge fan of conchas, they seem too be too dry for me. But after making them at home its a whole differerent level of flavor and texture. My family seems to enjoy them paired up with mexican hot chocolate!

Conchas after rising, aren't they pretty? I found this recipe on allrecipes.com. The only slight change I made was decreasing the baking time between 12 to 15 minutes. Ovens do vary so you might want to monitor while they are baking. I also yielded about 16 conchas versus 12.



1 comment:

Monica H said...

oh my goodness- yum!

I've always liked the chocolate ones. My family gets them all the time and when thery're not looking, I like to pinch the topping off :-) The only downside to them is that they dry out so quickly.

I'll definitely have to give these a try. Great job!