Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Pumpkin-Chocolate Chip Pound Cake

This month we are baking from a new book called "cake keeper Cakes" by Lauren Chattman. Our first cake from this book is "Pumpkin-Chocolate Chip Pound Cake"! How perfect can that be for the month of October! This was my first time making a pound cake, and I think it turned out well. I decided make this cake as soon as it was announced. I heard their was a pumpkin shortage, and I didn't want to have to hunt or over pay for canned pumpkin, plus I wanted to be on the safe side since this was the same rumor going around last year. I left for the grocery store feeling confident I would find the canned pumpkin, and to my surprise I find their is a shortage! I was only able to purchase the small 15 oz. cans for $1.78, the larger cans are on backorder and are expected to be in by Thanksgiving. I will go back next week and purchase a few more cans just to be on the safe side.
The cake turned out good, I omitted the nuts (wasn't really in the mood for them) and didn't feel like the cake needed them. I enjoyed the combination of the spices with the chocolate! I had a slice of the cake and water as my lunch, and really wished I would have had coffee instead! Well, thats what happens when your counting calories! Hopefully next month I can see the sacrifice!
Click here for a copy of the recipe!


9 comments:

Brownieville Girl said...

Glad you liked it Anabel, it went down very well here too!

Very few calories in coffee with fat free milk (at least I hope so - I'm living on the stuff!!!!)

Felice said...

I am glad that you were able to find some pumpkin. I have noticed that there are hardly any cans in the stores.

Leslie Limon said...

Your cake looks so moist! And the color is beautiful. :)

I made mine at the very last minute and we all LOVED it! :)

Katie said...

Your cake looks yummy and very soft and tender.

Caroline said...

Looks great for a first try baking pound cakes! I omitted the nuts as well on my second time baking this & liked it better.

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

Your cake looks very tempting.
Eeek I have the calorie problem too. How to eat all this baking while controlling calories. Not easy.

thedaintyapron said...

Your cake looks great! I too really enjoyed this cake.

Anna said...

Looks lovely - it's great that we pretty much all enjoyed the recipe :)

Monica H said...

I have a couple cans but I haven't very much around lately either. I do have a question though, or more just a statement :-)

Around here the larger cans of pumpkin are actually pumpkin 'mix' which have added spices and other things- it's not just plain pureed pumpkin. So the smaller cans may be what you need. This is true for Libby's pumpkin anyway.

Glad you're back to baking with us!