Saturday, August 20, 2011

Hungarian Coffee Cake


This months "Cake Slice" bakers selection was a "Hungarian Coffee Cake". I was pretty eager to make this cake this month, since I've never seen Monkey Bread made this way before.
After making the cake I wasn't too impressed. I think it was because I had it while it was still warm, because the next day that I had a slice it seemed a whole lot better. Overall not a bad cake, different from my traditional Monkey Bread recipe, this one had more of a biscuit texture, but still a good cake. Now I have more ways to use up buttermilk from my fridge. For the recipe please click here. The changes I made were omitting the raisins, and I doubled the nuts.

Fresh out of the oven! Smelled pretty awesome!

7 comments:

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

We loved this recipe - both warm and cold. I felt the sulatanas gave it a bit of juiciness, though. Will be nice to do it again but varying the nuts and fruit.

Elle said...

It really did smell wonderful didn't it? I added some shredded apple to mine for moisture and flavor and that helped.

Monica H said...

Funny, I thought this was better right out of the oven, than on day two! ha ha!

I prefer a monkey bread made with yeast, but I thought it was good. I ended up adding 2-3 tablespoons more buttermilk like the recipe suggested just because it was so thick. Mine didn't really roll into balls, but a small ice cream scoop worked well.

BTW, I have wide feet too, that's why I was thrilled with baby's monkey toes! He has my husband's feet- yay!

Katie said...

Your cake looks wonderful, I tried to make mine gluten free but it didn't really work. It had a scone like texture too but tasted nice. I'll have to try it again as yours looks so good!

Brownieville Girl said...

I was the exact oposite to you - loved it on the first day but found it almost stale on the second.

Your cake looks great though.

Emily said...

wow! yours look wonderful!

Emily said...

Your's looking awesome!

My DH asked if I could kindly go and bake something like the earlier cakes........ LOL!