Thursday, March 20, 2014

Espresso Cake With Hot Kahlua Syrup


This month the Cake Slice bakers made Espresso Cake! Not too excited about it at first, I really wanted the Majestic Mandarin cake to win all the votes! But I sucked it up and baked it!



Not too sure what to expect... I took on the challenge! The batter was delicious! For the hot syrup I used my homemade Kahlua! Loved the balance of coffee and honey, it made the cake super moist!


The ganache took this cake to the next level! It was the silkiest smoothest ganache I have ever made. I used amaretto liqueur in the ganache. It was delicious! I could have sat and ate the whole bowl!


I really did enjoy this cake. It had a nice coffee flavor with just a hint of chocolate baked in the cake. But the ganache poured over the cake was just heavenly! Hubby really enjoyed this cake and the kids liked it as well. Definitely a keeper for me!

9 comments:

Stacie said...

Yours looks beautiful, too many specialty ingredients in this one for my taste - can't find espresso powder here and don't drink, so probably sitting this one out. Kudos to you for baking even when you weren't sure you would like it.

Sandra Lee said...

This one was just OK for me but I do give it props for being super moist. Homemade Kahlua sounds like something I need in my life!

Paloma said...

Well I already knew you had succeeded but I didn't know you used homemade Kahlua! I agree with Sandra... I need that! :) I love it that you enjoyed the cake so much regardless of not being your original selection! Good job like always Anabel!

Melanie said...

Amaretto liqueur sounds good! And I do need to learn how to make my own Kahlua :)

All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

Yay! I am so glad that this cake turned out to be a winner for you. And you had me at homemade Kahlua - something I have wanted to try for ages since I have fond memories of my grandmother making it when I was growing up. Your cake looks so delicious with that ganache topping too.

The Ninja Baker said...

Fantabulous idea to use amaretto liquor in the ganache, Anabel. Ms. Walter really does know how to produce snazzy toppings =)

Laura@Baking in Pyjamas said...

It looks yummy, I can imagine the amaretto working nicely with the flavours of the cake.

Emily said...

You have a lovely creation there Anabel!

DomesticGoddessWannabe said...

This looks divine! Amaretto was a really great idea!!