Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Manhattan Cheesecake




Manhattan Cheesecake was my choice this month for the Cake Slice bakers. We're changing things up here a little at the Cake Slice. Instead of all of us baking the one winning vote, we get to choose to bake any of the four selections that are selected for the month. This change will be only for the remainder of the book, then when we bake from our new book in October the rules change back.

I was eager to make this cake, that I suggested it for my daughters birthday, she agreed! I gathered all my ingredients and went to work! I had a bit of trouble making the crust. I still don't own a food processor and had to do with what I had. I used my Ninja blender to grind the graham crackers, it was a bit of trouble but it turned out fine. When it came to making the batter, that's when I got really frustrated! My Ninja blender wasn't powerful enough to blend the ingredients! It took me a bit of time to get thinks incorporated. I'm not even sure after all that trouble if I over mixed my filling, I think I did.



I did love the flavor of the filling, I honestly thought it was heavenly! I finished placing the cake in the oven and baked it accordingly to the instructions. My cake sunk a little after I removed it from the oven, at the time it called to. It also cracked while baking. I was in such a hurry the next day to decorate the cake that I missed the instructions on how to place the strawberries on the cake. I don't think it turned out bad. I substituted strawberry preserves instead of apricot, since I knew the apricot preserves would go to waste.



Everybody seemed to enjoy the cake, and thought it was delicious! I honestly thought it was just okay. It was a bit too rich for me. I felt the cake was super creamy, and softer than I expected. The crust for me was really overpowering with richness, too sweet, and boy could I taste the butter!
I'm not sure I would make this cake again, my family loved it though. I think if I were to make it again I would cut back on the sugar, and completely leave it out in the crust. The butter in the crust would also be cut back. With all those changes I'm not sure I would even want to make it again, I would much rather just move on to another cheesecake recipe.








11 comments:

Emily said...

You decorated the cake very nicely! I was smart - no sugar in the crust cos I used honey graham crackers and reduced the amount of sugar slightly throughout. And I used greek yogurt instead of cream so it was not too heavy for me! I quite enjoyed it.

Pink Little Cake said...

I also baked the cheese cake, it was really good. Posting later today. yours looks really tasty!

Bea said...

I love the beautiful cheesecakes! Yours is no exception, I had been eating strawberries for snacks and couldn't do a cheesecake or strawberries...lol...so I just went chocolate. My friend will love it.

Paloma said...

I just love how you always make your cakes look, this cheesecake looks delicious! simple, elegant, inviting! I wonder if the reason why you thought it was too sweet is for the different things you are now eating, you know... healthier? so maybe that's it! I am sorry it wasn't that great for you and I am sorry you had such a hard time blending it too... I wouldn't be able to tell for the way it looks! :)

The Ninja Baker said...

Your daughter sure is lucky to have a master baker mommy.

Nice to know that I was not alone in my experience of a sunken middle. But that is what garnishes are for, right?

Anyway, glad your efforts were rewarded by a happy family...But, then, again I imagine they are always happy to have your desserts =)

Laura@Baking in Pyjamas said...

That looks delicious, I love the whole strawberries on top. Glad your family liked it, they must love you baking all these yummy treats for them :)

Sandra Lee said...

Your cheesecake looks very elegant and so happy it got great reviews. I would have gladly had your share!!

DomesticGoddessWannabe said...

I totally agree with you. Everyone loved the cheesecake I made too but I also thought it was just okay. I'd bake it again for people, but I doubt I would ever like it half as much as people do.

All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

Wow, what a beautiful cake for a birthday. I did love the cake but I agree that the sugar could definitely be cut back, and it is a lot softer than I am used to.

Melanie said...

Your cheesecake looks so pretty - like something in a bakery!

Magazine F1 said...

This was great to read thank you