This month's cookie theme for the Creative Cookie Exchange is "Cheese"! I knew it would be Kolachky for me, or is it Kolache? I've even seen it spelled Kolacky. Whatever the case this cookie is delicious!
Cream cheese is incorporated into the dough, making these cookies quite tender. A quick chill in the fridge, then rolled out, cut into squares, and filled with a fruit preserve, or in this case cream cheese.
A quick dusting of confectioner's sugar, and these cookies are ready to plate!
INGREDIENTS (recipe adapted from Epicurious)
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Sifted confectioner's sugar for dusting
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 egg (optional)
6 tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
*Mix all filling ingredients and set aside.
1. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, butter, and sugar on medium speed until light, about 2 minutes. On low speed, gradually beat in the flour just until mixed. The dough will be soft and sticky.
2. Divide the dough in half. Pat each half into a thick disk and wrap separately in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm enough to handle, at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease or spray cookie sheets.
4. Dust a pastry cloth or board with flour or confectioner's sugar. Remove 1 dough disk from the refrigerator and place it on the pastry cloth. Keep the remaining dough disk refrigerated. Roll out the dough into a square or rectangle 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 2 1/2 inch squares.
5. Place 1 teaspoon of the filling in the center of each square. Pull 2 opposite corners of the square into the middle, and pinch the edges together to seal. Place the cookies on the prepared cookie sheets, spacing them about 1 1/2 inches apart. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
6. Bake in the center of the oven until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheets for 1 to 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks. dust the tops with sifted confectioner's sugar while still warm, then let cool completely.
- Banana Chocolate Chip Bars by What Smells So Good?
- Black Bottom Mini Cream Cheese Brownie Cups by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Cheddar Chive Shortbread by Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Cookies by Magnolia Days
- Cream Cheese Kolachky by Oven Delights
- Geese Feet (Farmer's Cheese Cookies) by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Italian Ricotta Cookies by All That's Left Are The Crumbs
- Lemon Ricotta Cookies by A Baker's House
- Pepper Jack and Green Chile Cornbread Madeleines by Live. Bake. Love
- Spiced Parmigiano Scones by Spice Roots
- Tiramisu Sandwich Cookies by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks