Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Dobos Cake



Dobos Cake is my selection for this months Cake Slice! I wanted to challenge myself with this recipe. Dobos Cake is layers of cake sandwiched in between delicious chocolate buttercream, and finished off with a layer of cake coated in caramel! 


My cake layers didn't exactly fluff up like the picture in the book. They turned out more like the texture of crepes. A little disappointed. Not exactly sure what went wrong. Maybe the eggs should have been whipped seperately then folded into the batter, to give the layers the sponge cake result. 


I followed the recipe just as listed except for the chocolate buttercream. I wasn't comfortable adding the egg mixture to the frosting. I did heat the eggs and confectioners sugar until hot to the touch. But since the recipe didn't state how long to cook or temperature that must be reached, I decided to opt them out. With my daughter expecting a baby I didn't want to risk her getting sick, in case I undercooked the egg mixture. I also noticed that the recipe didn't say to whip or stir the egg mixture while heating. Normally recipes that call for this step state to whisk while cooking them. 


Over all I felt the cake was very good. My husband and kids said the crepe texture was delicious. I wanted fluffy layers, so I wasn't 100% pleased. I liked the cake, just wished the layers turned out sponge like. 






4 comments:

Susanb said...

It looks wonderful! Sorry the cake didn't do right, but the crepe texture looks like it would taste really good with the frosting.

Os bolos da anikas said...

Hi Anabel
I baked the same cake as you and to goes well I had to stop following the recipe for the book. Instead I followed a recipe that I found in Youtube. In my humble opinion the book's recipe is not well explained. it is very confuse!!!
As for the buttercream the recipe is very confuse either. Go to my blog and watch the youtube link.
Here in Portugal we use eggs a lot in our cakes so we are use to "work" with them. Here in this recipe you must to eat them until the temperature reaches a litle be more than 130F. In youtube recipe they only say "until the eggs are hot in touch" but I think the temperature should be what I said above.
But in the end what counts is to bake,and our familly likes to eat what we bake!
Xoxo
Ana http://acozinhadaanikasblog.wordpress.com

Elle said...

Sounds like the book had a mistake or something. Glad your family liked the crepe texture, but traditional dobos cake really is a sponge, usually moistened with some liquid brushed on before putting the layer together with the icing.

It does look very pretty.

Emily said...

Sometimes, we just have to go with our gut feelings. Nevertheless, still looking good! and it was enjoyed!