Lemon Cakes are my absolute favorite! I don't make them much, not a lot of lemon fans in my house, or should I say one? But that may not be entirely true. I had lots of help eating this cake from this non-lemon dessert eater. I find it kind of strange. He either has learned to appreciate lemon desserts, or this cake was just too good to resist. I think its both!
This month I chose to bake the Lemon Drizzle with "The Cake Slice". I'm sure glad I did! The cake turned out delicious! Loved the texture of the cake, it was a combination of a light airy layered cake, and a pound cake.
The cake is brushed with a lemon sugar syrup right after its pulled from the oven! It lightly soaks in giving the cake a bright lemon burst of lemon, and a pretty shine making the irresistible! It really is delicious!
We had a couple of slices that night, and packed the rest to take on our family day trip the next day. It stayed moist and traveled well.
The recipe calls to preheat your oven to 310 degrees. It wasn't working for me, the cake was taking too long to bake, with only 8 minutes remaining on the cooking time I decided to turn up the temperature to 325 degrees and add on another ten minutes. It finally started to rise and brown, I was a little worried that recipe was going to be a flop. Maybe the recipe had a typo, not sure, but if you try the recipe and the 310 degrees works for you I would love to know!
- 1 c. sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 c. all -purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 c. butter, melted
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- finely grated zest of three lemons
For the lemon drizzle:
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/4 c. and 2 tbs. sugar
- juice of two lemons
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a large loaf pan, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs and sugar for about 3 minutes. Slowly add the sugar, salt, flour, and baking powder, mix only to combine. Add the butter, mix only to combine, add the cream and lemon zest, mix only until combined.
- Pour cake batter into prepared loaf pan and bake between 35 to 45 minutes, watch your oven, ovens vary. Cake is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While cake bakes make your syrup by boiling all the lemon drizzle ingredients for ten minutes. Take off heat and set aside.
- Remove cake from oven and immediately brush the cake with the syrup, it will absorb into the cake. Let cake sit for 15 minutes before removing from pan and cooling on wire rack.